The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 158 points in pre-market trading as markets attempted to rebound from last week’s sell-off. Concerns about global economic growth, trade wars, and corporate earnings continue to linger. The Dow is off 6.7% so far in October while the S&P 500 has entered correction territory.
October 2018 is likely to be the market’s worst performing month since the 2008 financial crisis. With additional sell-offs likely, we’re keeping a close eye on the trends driving this month’s volatility and how we can protect our investments. Check out our strategy here…
Here are the numbers from Tuesday for the Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq:
|Index||Previous Close||Point Change||Percentage Change|
Now here’s a closer look at today’s Money Morning insight, the most important market events, and stocks to watch.
From Biggest Foe to Biggest Advocate: Former Speaker John Boehner voices his full support for marijuana legalization – and reveals the three key events that will transform the industry forever. Watch now…
The Top Stock Market Stories for Monday
- Ongoing fears about Chinese economic growth sent the Shanghai Composite lower this morning. Profit growth cooled for the fifth straight quarter in China as the ongoing trade battle with the United States continues to weigh on companies. Meanwhile, the monthly U.S. personal income report indicated that wage growth fell short of economists’ expectations. Wage growth increased by 0.2%, a figure that was half of expectations.
- It feels like the media has said everything there is to say about the market over the last three weeks of this downturn. However, talking heads are still missing something – something they’re just not sharp enough to grasp about all of this. Money Morning Quantitative Specialist Chris Johnson tells you everything that you need to know about the recent market correction.
- Oil prices dipped Monday. Prices have fallen this month by the largest rate since October 2016 as geopolitical concerns continue to weigh on global sentiment. Oil prices are off roughly 7% despite sanctions hitting Iranian crude exports this week.
Money Morning Insight of the Day
Do you want to know how the “Smart Money” gets rich and stays rich? They do so by using wealth tactics that maximize their investment income potential and ensure decades of wealth that can span generations. And these secrets have been locked up since the end of World War II.
Well, Money Morning Special Situations Strategist Tim Melvin has broken these secrets out of the vault of the Smart Money managers. And he’s sharing the Max Wealth secrets for free right here.
Stocks to Watch Today: RHT, HSBC, RIG
- Shares of HSBC Holdings Plc. (NYSE: HSBC) popped more than 3% after the British bank reported stronger-than-expected earnings. The firm reported a 28% jump in year-over-year quarterly profits. CEO John Flint said that the company has succeeded in cutting costs and boosting margins.
- Shares of Red Hat Inc. (NYSE: RHT) popped roughly 50% after the company announced it would be sold to International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM). The deal, worth $34 billion, will help IBM compete against firms like Amazon.com Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN), Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ: MSFT) and Alphabet Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOGL).
- Look for earnings reports today from Transocean Ltd. (NYSE: RIG), Akamai Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ: AKAM), Texas Roadhouse Inc. (NASDAQ: TXRH), Weatherford International Plc. (NYSE: WFT), Olin Corp. (NYSE: OLN), and Ensco Plc. (NYSE: ESV)
About Money Morning: Money Morning gives you access to a team of ten market experts with more than 250 years of combined investing experience – for free. Our experts – who have appeared on FOXBusiness, CNBC, NPR, and BloombergTV – deliver daily investing tips and stock picks, provide analysis with actions to take, and answer your biggest market questions. Our goal is to help our millions of e-newsletter subscribers and Moneymorning.com visitors become smarter, more confident investors.To get full access to all Money Morning content, click here.
Disclaimer: © 2018 Money Morning and Money Map Press. All Rights Reserved. Protected by copyright of the United States and international treaties. Any reproduction, copying, or redistribution (electronic or otherwise, including the world wide web), of content from this webpage, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited without the express written permission of Money Morning. 16 W. Madison St. Baltimore, MD, 21201.
This post is from MoneyMorning. We encourage our readers to continue reading the full article from the original source here.